Saturday, October 17, 2009

Internet Hitchiking.

My self-imposed budget of 20€ per inter-city trip has led me to a very useful German website which basically lets you pre-organise hitchiking.

So the leg between Berlin and Prague was all about the randomness of electronic car-sharing (once deciphering the German-only website).

"Milan" answered my plea. He spoke English, there were two other people he was going to transport it seemed all good. I asked him what his car looked like so I could spot it. "It looks like a Zebra" he said.

I promised to sms Lucy the numberplate of the car in case this all turned into an Ivan Milat situation. I met the other two people our guy was taking to Prague - a Spanish performance artist and a French Model.

The car pulled up.
Harmless.



Transported back to 1960, I was put on the back seat, which wasn't really a back seat at all - just a whole heap of cushions. With Bob Marley on the tape player and tie-dye car-seat covers, we cruised the four hours to Prague, no problem.

Milan even took us by this hectic bar once we got to Prague (made entirely out of old car parts), and bought us all a beer. He then offered his services and help to all of us and made sure we were delivered safely to our respective hostels.



The goodness of the world was shining through that day.

No comments: