Saturday, October 17, 2009

We've lost a brother, and I've lost my wing man.

There are few television vigils that I have kept over the years. The funeral of Princess Diana and the Stuart Diver Thredbo rescue making the top two. It should come as no surprise that I, the massive boyband advocate this side of Terrey Hills should be glued to the TV for the funeral of Stephen Gately, of Boyzone fame.






The boyband hall of shame that I have kept since my first East 17 album certainly included those pretty Boyzone boys. What can I say - singing and dancing boys just hit that happy place for me.



So it was with tearful reflection that I sat in front of the TV and listened to Ronan Keating sing at the funeral of his bandmate, and I completely lost the plot when he said "we have lost a husband, a son, a brother and my wing man."

A pioneer in the gay community, he was the first boyband member to openly admit he was gay and he enjoyed seven years of partnership with his husband Andy. Boyzone were also the first boyband to picture a gay couple in their music video.



As a lover of all things boyband, I am totally gutted, but hope that Stephen's open personality, pioneering leadership and talent will give a little cred to those boyband enthusiasts such as myself.

Love thy boyband people!

1 comment:

Hollie said...

I did say a prayer that you would be okay with this news. Be strong, Dara. Be strong.