Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Sound of Bribery.

In my infinite wisdom (and decreasing level of funds) I decided to give myself the challenge of a 20€ limit on all travel between cities. The latest challenge was somehow travelling 500km across Austria.

The ticket should have cost me 70€.
I decided to buy the 20€ ticket and try my luck as "Dumb Tourist".

200km in, I got kicked off the train at "Laakirchen" after putting on my best "but what does that mean? I'm just an Aussie girl" routine, succesfully avoiding the 40€ fine.

An hour later, I was back on the next train.
I was wearing my magic hat by then, so I knew my luck was about to change. Here is the transcript of what happened next...


Inspector: (In German) Ticket please!
Dara:
Smiles, hands over ticket, acts cool.
Inspector: (In German) This is a German ticket! It is not valid for this train!
Dara: With best confused dumb traveler face - Sorry?
Inspector: (In English) This is a German ticket! It is not valid for this train!
Dara: Trying to appear as dumb as possible - But what does that mean exactly?
Inspector: It means I should give you a 40€ fine and kick you off at the next stop!
Dara: Tactfully changing the subject, appearing oblivious to his threat - You know I only came to Europe so I could come to Austria.
Inspector: Really?
Dara: Sensing a positive mood change - Oh yes, you see I am Australian and people always confuse our countries! So I feel very close to Austrians.
Inspector: Doubtful - Is that so?
Dara: Pressing on. Yes. And I love the Sound of Music
Inspector: Acting Stern. We don't. No Austrians do. In fact, it was only released with German subtitles eight years ago.
Dara: Suddenly notices the inspectors name badge. Oh! Ralph! You know there was a character called Ralph!
Inspector: Deadpan - Yes, I am told he was a Nazi.
Dara: D
efeated. Out of ideas.
Inspector: I like your hat.
Dara: Seeing further and final opportunity. Thanks! It's my Captain Von Trapp Hat!
Inspector: Showing a sudden change of tune. The father right?
Dara: Elated, breaks into song: Yes! Edelweiss! Edelweiss! Every morning you greet me!...
Inspector: Smiling. Obviously amused. This is one of my favourite songs. Ok. I'll pretend you don't exist.

For the next three hours Ralph tactfully ignored me, smiled every time and never asked for my ticket again. I even asked him to take this photo at the end of the journey to commemorate the power of the hat!

No comments: