Saturday, February 6, 2010

"You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country"

ANZAC COVE: January 2010.



I wrote a poem about the ANZAC's once. I had to read it in front of the whole school on ANZAC day. The only part I can remember was rhyming 1915 with young but extremely keen.

I honestly had no idea just how young.



As an Australian I knew that this ground was sacred, important and a place of learning. As opposed to the sickness I felt during my Concentration Camp tour of Europe, this trip to ANZAC Cove hit me quite unexpectedly.

These were my people.



The carnage and the sheer proximity of enemy battles was almost unimaginable. Trench distances were sometimes only eight metres apart. No wonder bullets were hitting bullets.





Something I didn't expect was to truly understand the meaning of "Rest In Peace".



There is a magnificent tribute to the ANZAC's which was said by Ataturk, which gives the area such peace. The very fact that two countries can gracefully accept that the battle is long over, restores my faith in humanity.

And what a peaceful place to finally lay.





No comments: